Tent City Love
October 24th to 26th
Civic Center Mall
“We know people will die if we don’t, so we just do. And if by being there you get to know the name of the person who will not die, your work becomes so much more urgent.” – Ken
Tent City 2014
This is a weekend long event held October 24th to 26th 2014 that delivers the entire community’s compassion to those who often see none. Businesses, Churches, Youth Groups, and Schools all donate, volunteer and/or spend the night learning how to serve those who have none. ALL ARE WELCOME! Click here to volunteer.
Our 1Mile Matters to End Veteran Homelessness kicks off Tent City on the 24th at 6 pm. Please register to walk for the veterans who are still on the streets.
Here are Ten Ways to Matter This Fall
Please join us to continue to show the world how our community comes together each year for Tent City!
1. Sign up to Volunteer as a guide, part of a setup or tear tear-down crew, a meal server, guest or volunteer registration, or donation tent at Tent City. This hands-on service can change lives: Yours and theirs.
2. Donate food or sponsor a meal for the hundreds who come down to break bread at Tent City. Then join us to break bread.
3. Conduct a targeted clothing drive for men’s and women’s warm winter clothing, jeans, sweat shirts, hygiene items or backpacks. We ALWAYS have a shortage of larger sizes as well as men’s jeans.
4. Help sponsor the Critical Documents (Birth Certificates and IDs), perhaps the biggest demand item. Without them, people cannot get a job, services, even food or shelter. Last year we were quite limited in capacity. To meet the need this year, we need to raise about $3,500 to buy the birth certificates and IDs for our guests. Contact us if you, your church, business or group would like to donate or sponsor part of this program.
5. Create a prayer vigil at your church or life group leading up to and during Tent City weekend, lives are changed!
6. Have your company or group become an underwriter or sponsor of Tent City, or our 1Mile Matters walk to support our Veterans Matter program.
7. Walk in the 1Mile Matters Walk on October 24th to help move more of our soldiers into housing! Every dollar you raise moves another veteran, or veteran family into a place called home.
8. Help get the word out! Embed the videos on your business, school, or church website, Facebook, Twitter and more. Invite Ken or a speaker from the 1Matters Speakers Bureau to help your church, volunteers or group understand the plight of the unhoused, the complexity of living on the streets and what you can expect at Tent City.
9. Bring your student group, church group or life group down to spend the night in order to teach them the harder life lessons only discomfort can teach.
10. Just come down Friday or Saturday night and enjoy the incredible music Pat Lewandowski puts together each year. (We note Pat is the only other person besides the founder who has been to every single day of every single Tent City since 1990!)
We welcome ANY ideas you and/or your group have to matter this year to those who matter. Just tell us. If you have questions or need more info, email us at info at 1matters dot com or just give us a call.
We hope to see you there!
Read About Tent City
What is Tent City REALLY like? Here are some behind the scenes perspectives of the life-changing impact.
Michele Ross is our friend in the Tent City video above. Kate Giammarise captured her story in this wonderful piece.
Our friend Sarah Ottney accurately penned this story in the Toledo Free Press.
Our friend Tom Henry described it perfectly as “Volunteers connect face-to-face with the homeless through music, coffee, and outreach programs from free haircuts to free medical exams.”
Want to educate your students? Jenifer Christiaanse brought 18 or so students down to spend the night in order to teach them the harder life lessons only discomfort can teach.
To us, the volunteer leaders of Tent City, Jenifer and her group are heroes not only for coming down, but for the commitment to stay when other groups left after the Levee breaks.
This video by our good friend Dave Yonke with Toledo Favs (Faith and Values)captured the 2012 rain soaked walk. It let up midway and blessed us with a beautiful double rainbow at the end. Click here to see the video, and click above to join us this year.
Whether you are a leader, thinker, doer or donor we want YOU to help us change the world, 1 at a time.
Feel called to help or need more info? You can email us, call us or come to any planning meeting.
Every one Matters, right?