Here are 10 Ways to Matter This Fall
Please join us to continue to show the world how our community comes together each year for Tent City!
1. Sign up to Volunteer as a guide, part of a setup or tear-down crew, a meal server, guest or volunteer registration, donation tent and more at Tent City. This hands-on service can change lives: Yours and theirs.
3. Conduct a targeted clothing drive for men’s and women’s warm winter clothing, jeans, sweat shirts, hygiene items or backpacks. We ALWAYS have a shortage of larger sizes as well as men’s jeans.
4. Help sponsor the Critical Documents (Birth Certificates and IDs) - perhaps the item in highest demand. Without them, people cannot get a job, services, even food or shelter. Last year we were quite limited in capacity. To meet the need this year, we need to raise about $3,500 to buy the birth certificates and IDs for our guests. To help, just select "TC Critical Documents" from the drop down menu on the Sponsorship page.
5. Create a prayer vigil at your church or life group leading up to and during Tent City weekend. Lives are changed!
6. Have your company or group become an underwriter or sponsor of Tent City.
7. Join the Veterans Matter Walk to End Veteran Homelessness for a chance to meet John Mellencamp. This walk kicks off Tent City on October 21st at 6 p.m. 100% of the funds raised for the walk will be matched by Jordan Reses Supply Co.
8. Help get the word out! Embed the videos on your business, school or church website, Facebook, Twitter and more. Invite Ken or a speaker from the 1Matters Speakers Bureau to help your church, volunteers or group understand the plight of the unhoused, the complexity of living on the streets and what you can expect at Tent City.
9. Bring your student group, church group or life group down to spend the night in order to teach them the harder life lessons only discomfort can teach.
10. Just come down Friday or Saturday night and enjoy the incredible music Pat Lewandowski puts together each year. (We note Pat is the only other person besides the founder who has been to every single day of every single Tent City since 1990!)
We welcome ANY ideas you and/or your group have to matter this year to those who matter. Just tell us. If you have questions or need more info, email us at info at 1matters dot com or just give us a call. We hope to see you there!
Tent City Entertainment
As he has since 1990, Pat Lewandowski has put together great entertainment for the weekend.
8pm: It's Essential
10pm: Hand Hewn
11pm: Ginger and the Snaps
12am: Curtiss Jr.
7pm: Laurie Swyers
8pm: Kyle White
9pm: Don Binkley and Dan O'Connor
10pm: Tim Tiderman
11pm: The Blue Hook
12am: The Gray Devils
Read About Tent City
What is Tent City REALLY like? Here are some behind-the-scenes perspectives of the life-changing impact:
Michele Ross is our friend in the Tent City video above. Kate Giammarise captured her story in this wonderful piece.
Our friend Sarah Ottney accurately penned this story in the Toledo Free Press.
Our friend Tom Henry described it perfectly as “Volunteers connect face-to-face with the homeless through music, coffee and outreach programs from free haircuts to free medical exams.”
Want to educate your students? Jenifer Christiaanse brought 18 or so students down to spend the night in order to teach them the harder life lessons only discomfort can teach. To us, the volunteer leaders of Tent City, Jenifer and her group are heroes not only for coming down, but for the commitment to stay when other groups left after the levee breaks.
Whether you are a leader, thinker, doer or donor, we want YOU to help us change the world, 1 at a time. Feel called to help or need more info? You can email us, call us or come to any planning meeting. Every one matters, right?